The 2021-2022 IAA Strive scholarship is now closed.
The 2021-2022 application and updated criteria will be available on December 4, 2020.
The Illinois Athletic and Academic Strive Scholarship Fund is an endowment fund established with the University of Illinois Foundation. Income from the fund is to be used for "scholarships, grants, or fellowships" for University of Illinois students "who are both gifted students and exceptional athletes, for their combined physical and mental development."
Criteria for selection
- Costs and financial need may be taken into consideration in establishing the amount
of the awards, but "academic and athletic competence shall take precedence
over financial need as factors for qualification" for the awards.
- Scholarships are available to qualified students without regard to university or class level.
- Criteria for academic excellence include: for entering undergraduates, upper 25 percent scholastically of all entering undergraduates for that year; for continuing undergraduates, upper 25 percent of all students in that school or college (based on grades earned through the fall semester of 2020); and for graduate and professional students, good standing and satisfactory progress toward a degree. Applications below stated levels cannot be considered. Please note the minimum grade point averages for your college and campus below.
- Criteria for athletic excellence include participation over a period of time in amateur athletics for personal development, rather than career objectives, and special aptitude or ability in athletic endeavors.
- Varsity athletes should consult their coaches or the athletic compliance office before filing an application. Awards cannot be "administered or regarded as a substitute for, or for the same purposes as," athletic grants-in-aid. Winners can be varsity athletes, but if accepting the Strive award causes the sport to exceed its grant-in-aid limit, the student athlete will not be able to accept the Strive award and continue to be on the team. Students on varsity athletic teams are eligible to apply if they meet the minimum academic qualifications and if they: (1) are continuing, rather than new, students; (2) have a partial grant-in-aid or no grant-in-aid; and (3) participate on varsity teams that have not utilized maximum grant-in-aid funds permissible under NCAA or conference rules.
- Part-time students (undergraduates carrying fewer than 12 semester hours) are not eligible to receive a Strive award. Recipients of Strive awards must be registered as full-time students at the beginning of each term (fall and spring semesters) of the award. Awards are not paid during summer terms.
Minimum Academic Requirements for
2021-2022 Illinois Athletic and Academic Strive Scholarship
There is an academic requirement for the Strive Scholarship. Please
review the following Minimum Academic Requirements chart to determine your eligibility.
Undergraduate - New
|Beginning Freshmen (First term GPA)||3.72||3.74||3.85
|New Transfers (Transfer GPA )||3.6||3.43||3.81
Undergraduate - Continuing
Cumulative GPA (based on grades earned at the University of Illinois campus after
the current fall term)
|College, School, or Institute||Chicago||Springfield||Urbana-Champaign
|Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental Sciences|| || ||3.59
|Applied Health Sciences||3.49|| ||3.66
|Architecture and the Arts||3.51|| ||
|Business|| || ||3.84
|Business Administration||3.42|| ||
|Business and Management|| ||3.4||
|Education ||3.62|| ||3.83
|Education and Human Services|| ||3.75||
|Fine and Applied Arts|| || ||3.72
|General Studies|| || ||3.49
|Liberal Arts and Sciences||3.51||3.51||3.7
|Media|| || ||3.71
|Public Affairs and Administration|| ||3.58||
|Public Health||3.5|| ||
|School of Social Work|| || ||3.69
|Urban Planning and Public Affairs||3.6|| ||
Grade Point Scale: A=4.0
Graduate and Professional students must be in good standing.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet these criteria to be considered for a Strive
Scholarship. The minimum for the college of current enrollment will be applied to
Winners will be announced in late
If you have any questions, please call University Academic Programs and Services at
(217) 333-2030 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org